Friday, November 5, 2010

KinderConversations

The conversations in the kindergarten classroom are always interesting. These children are always willing to share, always full of questions, and, most of all, just like to talk. Here are a few of the many things I hear in the classroom daily.

My KinderFriends love to sing. We do quite a bit of singing in our classroom, but these little darlings will bust out in song whenever there is a lull in classroom activity. The past few weeks we've been singing this song a lot:



Sometimes they sing other songs we have been singing, sometimes they sing songs they hear on the radio (with all the wrong words), and sometimes they make up their own songs.

I've also been hearing a lot of knock-knock jokes recently. They go something like this:
"Knock, knock!"
"Who's there?"
"Orange!"
"Orange who?"
"Apple!"
at which point these wonderful comedians will laugh and laugh and laugh. These jokes come in a variety of different subjects as well.

Not only are my KinderFriends comedians, but they can also change time. One friend exclaimed yesterday that he was going to make morning go really fast so that he could go to Pizza Hut.

They also know when they need to stay on task. I have a few friends who will call out an answer instead of raising their hand, then quickly place their hand over their mouth and say, "I'm not supposed to call out!" Another friend was not focused on his work. When he realized that he needed to be working like everyone else, he was overheard saying, "I'm supposed to be working. This is not the time to play!"

And my KinderFriends are always following the example of their peers. I overheard this conversation earlier this week:
"How do you move your star to blue so much?"
"I just be good and I move to blue."
"Because Miss Beck tells you to?"
"Yeah."
"But how do you be so good?"
"I just try to be good as soon as I come in in the morning and I just move to blue."
"I’m gonna try to be like you and move to blue."

Sometimes there are moments when our KinderFriends can't believe what they see. After everyone else had put their papers away, one friend was still sitting at his desk with his paper on top, completely distracted by pictures on the wall. I asked him to look around to see what his other friends were doing (all of their papers were put away) so that he would know what he was supposed to do. He saw his friends sitting at their empty desks where a minute ago there had been papers, and with an astonished look on his face, he exclaimed, "How did they do that?"

These children truly make me smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment